OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC DEFENDER
FOURTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
Position: Assistant Public Defender (Full-time)
Location: Darlington County Office
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022 5:00PM
The 4th Circuit Public Defender’s Office is accepting applications for a full-time Assistant Public Defender. The 4th Circuit Public Defender’s Office was created by the Indigent Defense Act of 2007, to provide representation for indigent defendants charged with crimes in Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, and Marlboro counties of South Carolina.
Job Description and Qualifications: The Assistant Public Defender (APD) will provide every aspect of legal representation to persons charged with state crimes who, because of indigence, cannot obtain counsel to represent them. Duties of the APD include representation of clients in trials and court hearings, client and witness interviews, investigation, analysis of the strength of cases, development of mitigation and defenses, case negotiation, community outreach, and related job duties as assigned by a supervisor.
* Be a member of the SC Bar, in good standing
* Have completed all SC Rule 403 requirements
* Possess proficient computer skills
* Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
* Be able to conduct legal research and possess the ability to analyze cases and legal opinions
* Have a strong work ethic and be committed to the service of public defense
* Be a US Citizen or eligible to work in the United States
Salary: $50,000 + benefits
Application Information: Qualified persons may apply by forwarding a letter of interest/cover letter and resume, by email (in PDF format) or standard mail to:
Nathan R. Scales
4th Circuit Public Defender Office
122 N. MacArthur Avenue
Dillon, South Carolina 29536
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 5:00 PM EDT,
Thursday, June 30, 2022.
The 4th Circuit Public Defender’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.